The more I read Osho, the more I like him and his books like this one The Book of Man. Probably because he gives words to what I think is the way to live, to be alive. To be free of our conditioning, the conditioning that comes from all touch points in our lives. Beginning with the family, the religion, society, country, politicians, priests, teachers, friends, partners. Conditioning that tells us to live the way others expect us to live. And in the process destroy the core of our being. And not respond to anything that ‘my being’ wants.
This philosophy repeats in all Osho books. I am quoting few quotes that I particularly liked. Probably because I relate to what is being conveyed in them:
- ‘Life can be lived in two ways: either as a calculation – in science, technology, mathematics, economics – or as poetry – in art, music, beauty, love’.
- ‘American mind is most trained in dealing with the world. American society is the first society in human history which is dominated by the businessman… Never before and nowhere else has the businessman dominated’
- ‘Pornography exists because of the priests, not because of the ‘Playboys’’
- ‘To live dangerously means to live’
- ‘The bohemian life is the only life worth living’
- ‘Creativity is the greatest rebellion in existence’
- ‘Rebel is a man who does not live like a robot preconditioned by past’
In The Book of Man, in the chapter where he describes the man as a ‘beggar’ for attention, he quotes the example of Mahatma Gandhi and an interesting anecdote: Gandhi had everything available to him, although he lived like a poor man. Sarojini Naidu once went on record to say ‘To keep him poor, we have to spend treasures on him’. It was not simple poverty, it was a managed show. He drank goat’s milk to show solidarity with poor. But his goat was washed twice with Lux toilet soap (a luxury in those days, which not many people could afford), Goat was given milk of a cow to drink, dry fruits and fruits.
The Goat’s daily food in those days cost Rs 10/- per day which was good enough in those days for a man to live for a whole month. He used to travel in third class, but what was not publicized is that he traveled alone in a compartment of 60 people, making it costlier than travel in first class. All this for attention.
It’s always a pleasure to read rebels like Osho, any other rebels who can be read….?
Buy this book – The Book of Man by Osho at Amazon India.
Read more reviews of Osho’s Books: